Friday, October 8, 2010

Hey it's been a while!

I've been so busy working this year that I forgot I had this blog!

Wow, well, 2010 has been a crazy, crazy year for me. Most of you know why. Moving twice. Trained and worked with 5 interns this summer. My cat had to be put down. Almost bought a condo. I know I'm forgetting some things. OH yes, a trip back east and a trip to Portland. What else?

I've learned LA is a very, very, very bad place to live in the worst recession we've had in 70-80 years.

Why?

Well, LA is all about image. So when people aren't doing well, either emotionally, financially, or both, people withdraw. No, I take that back. They don't withdraw. They fucking disappear. I lost friends this year to marriage (goodbye Siamack and Matt - hope you don't need any friends now that you have new wives - fuckers). I've lost friends, well, not lost them but sorta lost them to work. Not their fault, of course, they are lucky to have jobs but geez. Let's see, oh yeah, wanna really lose your "so called" friends in LA fast? Complain. Yup, speak the truth. Say you're having a rough time and watch them defriend you on facebook faster that you can say "boo". Nice guys really nice. I hope you too go through some of the worse years of your life and lose people you thought cared about you. What kind of person does that? Oh, I know. Someone in LA.

LA is a strange place. If you act like everything is great in your life you get more business and a pat on the shoulder. But complain or act "normal" like anyone else out there who doesn't live in LA and watch your so-called friends drop like flies.

It's fine though. Because only through living through these past 2-3 awful years in LA have I come to realize who my true friends are.

Friends like Kathryn who call you to see how you're doing and even take in your elderly cat and care for her when you have to move and can't have pets in your new place.

Friends like Amy and Guy who call (not email or text but fucking CALL) to see how you're doing, what's new and all that good stuff.

Friends like Sarah who listen to you through all your problems and give a hand to hold and a shoulder to cry on.

Friends like Jenn and Stephane who take you out to an amazing sushi dinner to cheer you up.

I'm sure I'm forgetting people here but let's face it. These past couple years have been rough for many people. And if you're for some reason one of the lucky few people in the world not affected by this economy, all I can say is "good for you" and "go find someone who has been" because they fucking need a shoulder to cry on right about now.

No comments: