Monday, May 2, 2011

You can pursue your dreams and *still* be a decent human being

Someone very wise once told me that people move to Los Angeles to escape their problems. Now while I'm not sure that is true of everyone that moves here, I do think it's true of many people. And as a result, the culture leaves something to be desired.


But come on people, just because you are here and a bit messed up emotionally, doesn't let you off the hook from being a decent human being.


Maybe there is something wrong with a family who would let one of their children move to Los Angeles to pursue their career in writing or being in a band or making a movie or what have you. Or, one could argue the opposite viewpoint - that a loving, caring family would support and encourage their child to do whatever makes them happy.


All I know it that I've managed to pursue my "dreams" here in Los Angeles and still look out for others and be a kind and caring person. A lot of other people I've met? Not so much.


Now am I just better at multi-tasking? Perhaps. But earth to people of Los Angeles: the world does not revolve around you and what you want and need. Perhaps your parents spoiled you too much when you were growing up. So you grew up a bit selfish and self-absorbed and LA only feeds that unhealthiness. I don't know. I don't buy it. We all make choices in our life and if we choose to run around only caring about ourself, what kind of world does that create? Would you want to be friends with someone who just cared about themself?? Especially in a time of need? I wouldn't....


However, as I get older, I see more and more of this selfish behavior manifest itself in unhealthy ways. I mean, is it unreasonable for me to expect I should have one friend, or one roommate in my life, that cares enough about me when I'm sick to get me soup? Or ask how I'm feeling? I've lived with a few people over the years who haven't helped me at all when I've been sick and to me, that just shows me how selfish and self-absorbed they are. If I knew someone was sick, even if it was a neighbor or someone I did not know really well, I would absolutely offer to help them get medicine or chicken soup. But someone you live with or are close to? Forget it. They've got better things to do.


Unfortunately, Los Angeles attracts people who are emotionally damaged or crippled.


Geez.


Maybe I'm the selfish one.


I mean, I'm a grown woman.


Why should anyone help me when I am sick?


Especially when they have better things to do?


Well, I'm not sure of the answer but I can't help but dream of a place where people care about other people. And if I knew my neighbor or friend was sick, I would offer to get them soup.


In fact, this very thing happened a few months ago.


A good friend of mine was so sick that she couldn't leave her place to get herself any food.


And while one could argue Pink Dot or delivery is phone call away, let's be honest. Pink Dot isn't going to have chicken soup or your favorite item from the supermarket when you are sick. Your local restaurant isn't going to bring you a huge container of Tropicana orange juice.


We should all have at least one person in our life who cares about us enough to get us soup and a favorite beverage when we're too sick and weak to leave the house.


So, I offered to go to Whole Foods and pick up my friend some soup.


She was really happy.


And I know she'd do the same for me in return.


As for everyone else, I say, epic fail.


I know I complain a lot about Los Angeles and people here. And I know I should leave. I'm working on it. Truly. But meanwhile, I hope you have someone who cares enough about you to get you chicken soup when you are sick.

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Whole Foods soup? A real friend would have made it from scratch :-)