Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why are there so many crazies in LA?

At this point in my life, I've pretty much given up the thought of making any new girlfriends.

Sure, many of the friends I've made over the years, both men and women, have been through the entertainment business.

And lately, it seems, I keep cutting out the women in my life.

They are too flakey, too depressed, too self-absorbed, too crazy or too weird.

It wasn't always this way.

And sure, I still have some great women in my life. And perhaps have made a new friend or two recently - so we'll see.

And yes, those 2 new girlfriends (status pending) do not work in entertainment. And they seem really nice and normal and down to earth.

It's odd but I'm finally coming to terms with and accepting this fact.

It's better to be alone, to have few friends, or even no friends, than to have flakey, self-absorbed, crazy friends.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

Maybe this is just what happens when you get older. In any city.

I shouldn't blame Los Angeles.

I just think that Los Angeles has always attracted strange people.

Like when I spoke at an intern panel at a local university.

The most "normal" students, sad to say it, even at a panel on the entertainment industry, went to talk to the recruiter who was hiring interns in the legal department at the studio.

I got the weirder ones.

Oh well.

It is what it is.

Finding people that care about you. Maybe that's difficult anywhere.

I'd have far less friends somewhere else.

Perhaps at the end of the day it's not at all about quantity but quality. I should be lucky to have 2-3 good friends in Los Angeles. The other 20-30 "friends"? Even though we used to hang out or talk on a regular basis. They get married or move away or just plain lose interest. People move on in their lives.

Maybe it's time for me to do the same.

No comments: