Thursday, March 5, 2009

What is up with this week?

Normally I'm in a pretty good mood.

But this week has been different.

I suppose that should come as no surprise when the Dow falls below 7,000 - the lowest point since 1997.

The job market in los angeles is pretty bad.

I know at least a half a dozen or dozen friends out of work and each week I hear of a new one.

The good news is that people are finding jobs. So all hope is not lost.

But I think that anyone who had a corporate job, especially a well-paying one, may find that those well paying, corporate jobs just simply don't exist anymore.

Time to read "Who Moved My Cheese" (even though I personally hated that book) and consider a new career altogether.

A friend of mine had a good story.

She had been trying to sell this fancy Kitchenaid mixer for a while. Finally, she sold it on Craigslist to someone who had been downsized i.e. fired from their job at Clear Channel and was using the mixer to start a catering business.

If that isn't a complete 180, I don't know what is!

Of course, that's easier said than done, right?

Not everyone can drop their corporate job and start catering.

Or can they?

I mean, if you have to do something, you might as well do something you love.

Anyhow, back to my original point.

I'm not sure what's in the water this week.

I had a good friend get mad at me for simply giving my ideas and opinion. Sure, no one likes criticism but you have to accept in life that people are going to give you feedback and not to take it personally, especially if the feedback is nothing about you.

Hey, I had a party a couple months ago and one of my friends complained that I needed more chairs so she didn't have to sit on the floor. Duly noted. It's not an attack on me but feedback that I can use for future parties. (Personally, I don't mind sitting on the floor, as long as it's clean and my back isn't bothering me).

Anyhow, I suppose I should expect a weird week when the Dow falls to a new low, friends are out of work, housing prices are still insanely high and it rained.

Tomorrow will be a better day!

No comments: