Monday, October 19, 2009

East Coast v. West Coast

No, this isn't another blog entry about moving.

But a thought did come to mind tonight.

What's with the whole 'east coast v. west coast' thing?

I admit - I don't follow rap music.

But isn't there a huge west coast v. east coast rap feud?

And wasn't there "west coast swing" and "east coast swing"?

I never quite understood New Yorker's disdain for all things Los Angeles. I mean, New Yorkers seem ok with San Francisco.

Are they jealous of LA's perpetual sunshine?

Or do they detest the entertainment industry and all that it brings to the city - the fake boobs, the fake personalities and people?

I'm not sure.

I've said this before - LA is just like high school. It suddenly matters again what kind of car you drive, how you look and what clique you hang out with.

I don't think Angelinos have anything against New Yorkers after all!

We love visiting the city for bagels, pizza, shopping and all things New York.

So where does this rivalry come from?

Having lived on both coasts now, I'm still trying to figure it out.

I will say though, that it's rare I've ever questioned anyone's sincerity in New York.

Is that it?

Anyhow, both coasts seem to have a lot to offer.

The west coast definitely wins on the sunshine and weather - and the sushi and Mexican food.
The east coast definitely wins on the scenery - grass, trees, plants, birds, flowers, all that stuff.

Probably the only way to do it right is to be bi-coastal.

2 comments:

marco said...

The couple of times I have been there, I actually enjoyed LA. That's true for California in general. I have nothing against San Francisco, but between the two cities, I would prefer Los Angeles. Actually San Diego tops my list.
Where do you see this rivalry? I can go for months without hearing a thing about CA from other NYers.

jennifery said...

Marco - That's good to know that at least ONE New Yorker likes LA. San Diego is great. So mellow and everyone is super friendly and chill down there. If I could do my job from San Diego I would move in a heartbeat but alas...the entertainment industry is still in LA...Yeah, New Yorkers never talk about LA, do they? If so, only that people here suck and are fake...