Saturday, October 3, 2009

People are losing their @#$T

Today someone called me childish.

I find that amusing.

I've been called many things in my life.

Smart.

Independent.

Efficient.

A hard worker.

Sweet.

Sensitive..

Even overly sensitive.

But childish?

And it all stemmed from an email I sent saying that I am planning to move. And sure I alluded to my disappointment in the behavior of some of my current and former "friends."

But I was most chastised for expressing how I felt. To people in my life that have disappointed me. Wow, I guess I could have taken another approach. Let people think they were behaving ok when they weren't. I mean, people don't change - so why tell someone if they've let you down?

I don't know. I guess it just feels wrong to leave and let people think bad behavior is ok.

Maybe I'm just going to be disappointed with everyone. At least everyone I meet in LA. My expectations are "too high" I've been told.

Yet I can't think of one single friend from the east coast who I'm disappointed in. No, my former co-workers there are so caring, they will send me a long email giving me helpful and encouraging advice. Co-workers I barely knew then let alone 10 years later. Yet my "friends" or so called "acquaintance friends" here in LA can barely be bothered to invite me out for a drink or coffee. Maybe they are too absorbed in their own issues to deal with being a good friend to me or anyone else. Fine. Then I need to move somewhere where people have less problems than LA.

Anyhow, I've come to realize that it's VERY hard to live in LA.

Not just because it's expensive.

And the parking.

And driving everywhere.

And that everything is so spread out.

And that we're running out of water.

And that it's 24/7 on fire.

It's biggest fault, in my opinion, is the people that are drawn here.

My friend said, "think about the type of person that is drawn to LA" - someone interested in becoming a celebrity or being around lights, cameras and ACTION!

No, sane people do not, for the most part, pick up and move thousands of miles away from their families to work in "show biz".

Oh well.

It was the right decision at the time.

Things have changed.

People all over the country are losing their collective @#$T and it ain't pretty. And it's getting worse.

Why just last week, I talked to yet ANOTHER music industry contact who was packing up his house, wife and kid and moving to Utah. People are defecting to some seriously remote places - Utah, Vermont, rural Pennsylvania etc.

I guess this is to be expected.

So, it's time to get out. Before things get even worse.

No comments: