Sunday, October 4, 2009

Whip It - You can't make other people happy

I was reading a review of Drew Barrymore's film "Whip It".

Now I haven't seen the film yet. I probably will next week.

But the review said something interesting to me.

Something about the "lessons learned" in the film.

Finding your own happiness.

And not trying to please other people.

One can't help but wonder if these statements come out as a page from Drew's own personal life.

And so I thought, "Wow, amazing as this so applies to me right now."

Because I'm finding, god forbid you express a feeling or say something, anything at all, offer up an opinion, everyone in your life with either choose to agree or disagree. And there certainly is no way to please everyone.

So I say, "screw it" - don't listen to the naysayers. I mean, make sure you're being a good person and doing the right thing. But beyond that? Just tune out.

Why?

Because, in life, people will enjoy telling you what to do. How to act. How to live your life. Even how you should feel. And you just can't please everyone.

So do you ignore them? De-friend those naysayers from your facebook? Move away?

I hate hearing all the crap about, "Only YOU can make yourself happy." It always sounds to me like some church preaching crap about "finding your inner peace" and "do undo others". Sorry, random tangent here but one of the reasons I particularly hate organized religion is many of the very religious people I know have the WORST values out there. Sure, that's maybe an unfair statement as I also have churchgoing friends who are the most kind, caring and considerate people. But, like any club, I guess you can't control who joins. I just don't see the point of being so hypocritical. But then again, many people in life front that they are "good people" and stab you in the back faster than you can say, "Please pass the sugar."

Anyhow, back to my original point.

I never thought of myself as a people pleaser. But I guess the female or Asian stereotype part of me just wants everyone to be happy and everyone to get along. That's a nice thought but certainly not very practical.

Anyhow, the best way I can think to live my life is be a good person. And that means leaning on friends when I need to. As I hope they would feel they can lean on me when they need to.

No comments: